Are You In a Codependent Relationship?
You’ve probably been in a codependent relationship if you recognize any of these 5 warning signs. Don’t miss this important video!
What’s codependency? In simple terms, a codependent relationship is when one person is sacrificing more for the relationship than the other. In romantic relationships, it’s when one partner requires much more psychological support than the other, and the other partner over-gives.
Codependency is unhealthy for both partners. It’s unbalanced, because you’re either giving more than you’re receiving, or you’re becoming too dependent on what you need from your partner.
In this video, I discuss 5 warning signs your relationship could be codependent.
5 Signs You’re in a Codependent Relationship
1. You over-function. When your partner pulls back and gives you less attention, you work harder to keep the relationship going.
2. You want to fix your partner. When your partner shows signs of psychological distress, you feel the need to ‘fix’ them. Fixing gives you the feeling of being needed.
3. You lose yourself in the relationship. You give up your needs for your partner, and you begin to feel depleted.
4. Your entire life revolves around pleasing your partner. You give up time with friends and family and become obsessed with filling every moment with your partner.
5. You give up your power. Your need for reassurance that your partner wants you has you give up your power in the relationship. You worry if you don’t do enough, your partner will leave you. You give your partner full power to determine if you should stay or go.
If you recognize any of these five warning signs, chances are you’ve been or are now in a codependent relationship. Codependency is unhealthy and complex. It is crazy-making. And it will never be an equitable relationship where both partners’ needs are met.
I encourage you to get the support of a therapist or a good dating/relationship coach like myself. You deserve a healthy, happy, mutually beneficial relationship.
If you’re feeling stuck in dating and relationships and would like to find love this year, sign up for a complimentary 1/2 hour breakthrough session with Sandy https://lastfirstdate.com/breakthrough
Join Your Last First Date on Facebook https://facebook.com/groups/yourlastfirstdate
Get a copy of Sandy’s book, Becoming a Woman of Value; How to Thrive in Life and Love.