How to Survive the Holidays
Want to know how to survive the holidays…and your dysfunctional family? Here are seven tips to help you stay sane, no matter what!
Holidays can be stressful, especially if you have a dysfunctional family. And let’s be honest, how many of us don’t?! The following seven tips will help you survive the holidays without losing your sanity, by setting healthy boundaries with yourself and others.
How to Survive the Holidays…and your dysfunctional family
- Take care of yourself first. BEFORE you go, practice self-care so you can stay calm. Get plenty of rest, eat, and if it helps, stay caffeinated ahead of time.
- Keep it simple. Do not add additional stress by over-functioning. Don’t make or do anything extra. Simple is good enough!
- Take a breath. While you’re at a family gathering and you’re feeling triggered by a family member, pause, take a breath, and center yourself. Accept that this person is the way they are, and don’t take their annoying comments personally.
- Keep on moving. If you need a mental break, take action. You might want to take a walk. Or you can help out in the kitchen and prep food, serve things, do the dishes, or take out the garbage.
- Find an ally. It’s good to have a go-to person who is your “sanity buddy”, someone who gets you, has a sense of humor, and can keep you anchored.
- Be selective. Don’t engage with anyone unless you want to. If someone starts to ask an intrusive or annoying question or tries to pull you into a conversation you don’t want to have, change the topic, redirect the conversation, or walk away.
- Have an escape plan. Allow yourself the freedom to leave when you’re ready to go. And here’s where the Irish goodbye is a keeper!
Congratulate yourself! You made it! Now, go find your happy place and chill out. Holidays can be tough, but if you practice even one of these steps, you will survive the holidays in flying colors!
If you’re feeling stuck in dating and relationships and would like to find love that lasts, sign up for a complimentary 45-minute love breakthrough session with Sandy https://lastfirstdate.com/application
Join Your Last First Date on Facebook https://facebook.com/groups/yourlastfirstdate
Get a copy of Sandy’s book, Becoming a Woman of Value; How to Thrive in Life and Love.