Single on Valentine’s Day? Fantastic!
When I was a little girl, I was jealous of all the kids who celebrated Valentine’s Day. As an Orthodox Jew, my family didn’t celebrate any holidays honoring a ‘saint’, but I didn’t care. I coveted the adorable cartoon-themed cards, and wanted someone to confess their love for 8 year-old me! Today, this holiday has been hijacked by the greeting card, chocolate, and jewelry companies. For those in relationships, many feel a sense of imposed romance. For those of you who are single, this holiday can be a painful reminder of what you don’t have. Well, no need to feel sad on this day.
I feel that singles would be wise not to fall into a black hole of sitting home feeling sorry for themselves, consuming a box or two of heart-shaped chocolate. Even though you might be more fulfilled in a relationship with the right guy, there are so many reasons to celebrate yourself as the fabulous single woman that you are!
8 Happiness Tips for Singles on V-day:
1. Invite your girls over for a movie-thon. Rent some great movies (beware of the sappy romance) or a season of some TV series you love, make some popcorn, and have a blast laughing with your friends.
2. Indulge in a long hot bath. I’m a big fan of the relaxation, comfort and healing properties of a great bath. Don’t forget the scented bath beads, bubbles, oils, candles, and music. And a great book, of course!
3. Take a weekend trip (alone or with a friend or two) Go to a fun location. Where to: A spa? A campground? Or visit a great friend who lives out of town.
4. Walk your neighbor’s dog. If you don’t have your own pooch, walk a friend’s. It’s a great way to exercise AND meet cute guys.
5. Create something. Take photos in nature, paint something. Creating feels good.
6. Bake a cake. Then throw an anti-Valentine’s Day party for some friends. Laugh about some of your bad dates. It’s important to see the light side of dating. We can all learn from our bad dates, and when you compare notes with friends, your own love life might seem far better!
7. Make a list of 10 reasons why it’s great to be single. (I don’t have to shave my legs, I can wear sweats to sleep, nobody’s snoring keeps me awake at night, I don’t have to share my dessert, etc.)
8. If all else fails, eat chocolate. Not just any chocolate, but something decadent. Buy two of your favorite truffles and eat them with a glass of champagne. And make yourself a toast. “Here’s to fabulous me! I am awesome. xoxoxo!”
Please share your tips here. I am always looking for more ways to celebrate YOU!